Root Canal Treatment in a Comfortable Setting
A root canal may not sound like a whole lot of fun, but it is often necessary to relieve persistent tooth pain. You’ll feel much better once you aren’t in pain. If you need a root canal, your dentist may refer you to an endodontist, a dentist who specializes in saving teeth through different procedures that involve the pulp (nerve) and root of teeth.
Do I Need a Root Canal?
You should consult with your dentist if you are experiencing severe tooth pain (especially when eating or putting pressure on the area). Some other common indicators that also suggest you may need a root canal include:
- Teeth sensitivity to hot and cold
- Tenderness or swelling in the gums near a bothersome tooth
- Darkening of the tooth
Getting a Root Canal
A root canal is a very common procedure, so it shouldn’t cause you any anxiety. Endodontists go through extra schooling and certification to ensure they are able to handle root canals and other endodontic procedures. In many cases a dentist can complete a root canal, but in some more complicated situations, an endodontist may step in.
The process of getting a root canal generally follows these steps and can be completed by either a dentist or endodonist based on the severity of the case:
- The dentist will take x-rays to assess the damage to the tooth.
- The dentist will administer local anesthetic to numb the area and prevent any discomfort.
- The dentist then makes an opening in the crown of the tooth and uses tools to clean out decayed pulp.
- Depending on the particular patient, the dentist may leave the tooth open to drain before it is filled or sealed, or they may put a temporary filling in the tooth.
Schedule an Appointment with an Endodontist
All Smiles Dental Group has all of the dental specialists on staff to make visits to our office a one-stop process. We have Colorado Springs endodontists on staff who work closely with our dentists to ensure you get personalized treatment. Call our office at 719-599-0665 or fill out an appointment request form to schedule an appointment today! If you are in extreme pain, we offer emergency dental services.